viernes, 30 de marzo de 2007

Market Meanderings

Today for the first time i went to the market. The market is a place that is crowded to the brim with all sorts of things i have never seen before. This market is not your big city market where brand names like Heinz and dole are scattered everywhere. This is a fly infested, smells of rotten fish place, with some of the most wonderful things in the world. The colors are bright, the fruit is beyond gorgeous, and the faces are mostly friendly. I walked down to the end of the road and caught a micro bus into town. These are the equivalent of a mini van with the doors ripped off and a few extra benches put in. When i made my way onto the bus there were already 23 people jammed in there. I gave the driver my 2 quezales and sat on the very edge of the seat with half of me hanging out the door. I now fully understand how the whole one cheek on one cheek off concept can be uncomfortable if not dangerous.
I made it to town, half numb, and waked towards the market. One i made it i decided to take my list out the cooks had given me. Who would have known the words for vegetables in Spanish would have been so different in English. So here i was in the middle of a very bus, crowded market with a Spanish list and my 100 some odd words in Spanish. So i walked up to one of the vegetable vendors extended my list, and said "Yo nesitito, por favor." To my shock and utter amazement he understood and gave me thew things i needed. I even managed to barter the price, but only because the cooks told me what they would normally charge another Guatemalan.
After that i caught another micro bus back to the compound, just in time for lunch.
Wow life is good, God is good. I think i just might be able to fit in down here. Well not in appearance. First of all the 15 of us in Fe Viva are the only white people who are seen in the town, and second i am the tallest girl they have ever seen. Every church service we attend i am always told, Wow you are very big! and then they usually tack something nice on the end. But i hope to fit in with the language and mannerisms. These people are among the most welcoming in the world.
I have so many other stories and wonderful things to talk about but I'm afraid it will have to wait. Yes the Internet is working again, but it is a miracle but who knows when it will decide to crap out again. I hope you are all well. Send me some cold thoughts because I'm frying up. I
ts something like 45-50 every day but i rained yesterday so we played in the rain.
Talk to you soon
love
jaz
P.S. I'm going to be in Belize for my Birthday!

6 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

hey Jazz, you are in Gautemala what I am in Canada... the one whose size they love to comment on, lol. Just remember they will never forget you becasue youre the tall girl from Canada. hehe. Hope your safe and healthy and having loads of fun, love you---Lindz (L)(L)(L)

Anónimo dijo...

Jazz, Its sounds like you are having an awesome time! I look forward to seeing picture and hearing your stories! I Hope you continue to have a great time and God is able to use you in amazing ways!
Luv ya, Your in my prayers!
-Chantelle

Enjoy your Heat..Its supposed to snow tomorrow :(

Anónimo dijo...

Hey Jazzie!
I'm so happy to hear from you again, I'm glad that you're having such a great time. You're making your freakishly tall brethren very proud!!
Don't you worry, there is plenty of cold here to go around. I thought spring was coming until I spent two hours counting tractor parts in the blowing snow. I'd tell ya just to appreciate your 40 degree days, but I know the grass is always greener on the other side.
Anyways, I love hearing from you, stay safe, my dear!
Love, Nat.

Kelela dijo...

hey jazzy

I lovee you!!! Keep having fun you lucky bum! :) I miss ya and I am praying for you.

Anónimo dijo...

Hey Jasmine!! So good to hear from you again! Today was very cold--because of the wind, I wore a skirt and flipflops and froze. And I was asked to talk in church--aie!! It was quite scary. Do you think it would be illegal to drive a van like that here? That would be quite lovely if we could have one--so much easier for carpoolong drop offs and pick ups--we'd only have to slow down a little! Just like Little Miss Sunshine! Oh well. We miss you here. Have a wonderful week!
Kara

Lisa dijo...

Jasmine,
Really enjoying reading your posts. Sorry i haven't posted to let you know that. It's encouraging to me to hear of someone just out there and doing real stuff. Keep the updates coming.
love you,
lisa